Damages Santa Monica Condos
By Lookout Staff
April 23 -- An early morning blaze caused by candles and
incense Wednesday damaged two Santa Monica condominium units and
resulted in a minor injury, Fire Department officials said.
The fire -- which started at around 2 a.m. in a two-bedroom townhouse at 1422
19th Street --burned through the ceiling and damaged all the contents in the
unit, according to fire officials.
“The female occupant of the unit awoke to the smoke alarm and escaped
with minor injuries,” said Scott Ziegert, the Fire Department spokesman.
She was treated by paramedics at the scene, Ziegert said. There were no other
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to put out the blaze, he said.
“The contents of the unit are a total loss and the structural integrity
will need to be evaluated,” Ziegert said.
The fire damaged the interior walls of the adjacent unit and caused heavy smoke
damage, he said.
Three engine companies, one truck company, one rescue ambulance and a Battalion
Chief initially responded to the fire, officials said.
One additional engine company, fire investigators and Police department personnel
were requested to assist with the emergency.