Logo horizontal ruler

Search


Fire Damages Santa Monica Condos

By Lookout Staff

April 23 -- An early morning blaze caused by candles and incense Wednesday damaged two Santa Monica condominium units and resulted in a minor injury, Fire Department officials said.

The fire -- which started at around 2 a.m. in a two-bedroom townhouse at 1422 19th Street --burned through the ceiling and damaged all the contents in the unit, according to fire officials.

“The female occupant of the unit awoke to the smoke alarm and escaped with minor injuries,” said Scott Ziegert, the Fire Department spokesman.

She was treated by paramedics at the scene, Ziegert said. There were no other reported injuries.

It took firefighters about 20 minutes to put out the blaze, he said.

“The contents of the unit are a total loss and the structural integrity will need to be evaluated,” Ziegert said.

The fire damaged the interior walls of the adjacent unit and caused heavy smoke damage, he said.

Three engine companies, one truck company, one rescue ambulance and a Battalion Chief initially responded to the fire, officials said.

One additional engine company, fire investigators and Police department personnel were requested to assist with the emergency.

 

 

 

 

Lookout Logo footer image
Copyright 1999-2008 surfsantamonica.com. All Rights Reserved.
Footer Email icon